thanks for the memories

Saturday, April 14, 2012

This was sent to me by a dear friend.  She wrote it as an assignment for school.  It is not only beautifully written but the sentiment touches something deep inside.

Horizon
The sun on the shores warms the sand,
The waves rock gently when the wind blows.
Against age-old stones, again and again
The cold spring water crashes and creates music.
The birch trees blow, blow against the blue sky,
Anxiously I sit astride the rocks, awaiting my friend.
The rough moss remembers, it remembers from
Time immemorial those who tarried by this lake,
Those whose wailing hearts with words, words unpsoken,
Waited upon these waves for one to come.
The shadows of seagulls dance upon the shoreline,
Flitting and floating, like falling leaves in the sun.
The chiaroscuro catching my eyes and clearing my senses.
Is my friend to be found? no, for it is only the foul
Teasing me to think they are the thought-of one.
The sun begins to sink, and so too does my soul,
Like falling stars in far-off skies, floating to the ground.
The birch trees breathe one last bold sigh
Before the breeze dies at the bidding of the night.
And on the horizon a human sillhouette walks here to me.
                                                                 by Veronica Arntz

No comments: