thanks for the memories

Monday, July 14, 2014

The Simple Woman's Day Book 14 July 2014


Outside my window...the sun has made an appearance in all its splendor and brightness.  Without even consulting the weather forecast I can tell that it is going to be another hot and muggy day.  I think I may be getting the hang of this southern climate.

I am thinking...about the way the God orders things.  Today I plan on being particularly thankful for all the blessings he bestows on me. 

I am thankful for...family that is not only willing but happy to help each other.  My son Jason and his family remain in NY so he can have surgery.  What a blessing that they can spend extended time with Ian, Melissa and the boys and MK.  I am thankful as well that the grandkids get to spend extra time with each other.

From the kitchen...there is a refrigerator full of leftovers that should get us through until Wednesday.  

I am going...to get a mountain of laundry under control before I settle down to tackling sewing projects.  

I am reading...C S Lewis' A Grief Observed.  I have felt compelled lately to reread this old favorite.  

I am hoping...to clear all of the current UFO's off my sewing list this week.  I have a smocked dress to put together, a Frozen dress to finish, a special project for Layn to finish and ship out, and a wedding gift to work on.  That should keep me busy and out of trouble for the next few days.

I am hearing...the neighbor's truck starting up so he can leave for work, an airplane taxiing down the runway at the airport, and the Cardinals calling to each other in the side yard.

Around the house...it is too quiet.  Now that Ariel has left there is no one chasing squirrels around the back yard or yipping to get into the house so she can take her morning nap.  My mother rarely speaks and if she does it is far too quiet to hear.  This disease has robbed her of the ability to carry on a conversation.  I often think about those family members that don't speak or carry grudges and pray that they are not deprived of final apologies by something as cruel as this disease that afflicts my mother.

One of my favorite things...spending a Sunday exploring as we did yesterday.  I had to return the rental car and since we were so far out we decided to do a little exploring.  We visited an old covered bridge, the ruins of an old textile mill and the ancient dam the provided water power for that mill, and another very ancient stone bridge that used to carry all the traffic between Greenville and Ashville.

A few plans for the rest of the week...include spending time with extended family via the internet and building a home here with the man that God has abundantly blessed me with.

Here is a picture thought that I am sharing with you...
In our travels yesterday we came upon this shrine to the Blessed Mother and the Infant of Prague.  It stood off in the back of a field surrounded by a wrought iron fence.  The shrine is dedicated to the Vietnamese martyrs.  What a beautiful thing to find around the bend and to spend a few minutes admiring.

No comments: