thanks for the memories

Monday, August 4, 2014

The Simple Woman's Day Book 4 August 2014


Outside my window...the sun is shining brightly, the birds are singing, and it is a cool 58 degrees. I am really thankful that God is sending this nice cool weather.  I feel quite at home here when the temps cool down and the humidity abates. 

I am thinking...in colors, bright, vibrant hues of tangerine, gold, russet, and emerald.  Inside my head there is a kaleidoscope whirling around.  Everything that I look at is no longer its real color but rather the color that my mind assigns to it.  It is going to be difficult to stick to the chores at hand this week.  My brain is in creating mode which makes it hard to resist.

I am thankful for...the love of family.  We had a great visit from my brother, his wife and their two girls on Saturday.  It is heartening and humbling when you are loved enough to merit a 5 hour drive one way.  I love all of you guys.

From the kitchen...there had better be some cooking going on today.  The larder is bare!  

I am reading...nothing currently but hopefully my brother is going to lend me some books to read.  He recommends Master and Commander.  I am not a fan of the movie but I trust my brother's judgment when it comes to reading material.

I am hearing...morning sounds.  The sound of waking up from the birds that live around here.  The neighbors are beginning to emerge from their homes to head off to work and the amount of traffic on the highway has increased a great deal in the last half hour.

One of my favorite things...porches!  I love long, deep, welcoming porches.  I am of the opinion that every home, in order to be a home, should have a porch.  If that porch has a rocking chair on it all the better.  

A few plans for the rest of the week....I need to wrap up as many projects as I can this week.  Saturday I managed to get a bunch of commissions which will need my attention soon.  So this week is designated finish things up week.

Here is a picture thought that I am sharing with you...
A view of Ashtabula Plantation home.  We have taken to visiting historic places on a Sunday afternoon.  These gracious, old southern homes are my favorites.  We couldn't afford to tour the inside of the house but the grounds were beautiful, albeit not as extensive or as grand as they once were but still gave the feel of the vastness of of their size when they were in their heyday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted a home with a front porch or a wraparound one.
I love Mondays because I get to read about what the Lord is doing in your life.
Have a blessed week. May the Lord keep you and protect you and make His face shine upon you.

We have your humidity out here. I'm sending it back (just so you know -- I'm sorry. I'll take your cold, snow and rain but not your heat and humidity. Maybe it will get lost and go to Alabama or something)
In my prayers and in my heart ugotafriend