thanks for the memories

Monday, September 22, 2014

Hints, tidbits, and glimpses

Outside my window...it is still dark and cool, oh so cool! When we were out in Washington we had a taste of nice cool weather, sweatshirt wearing, snuggle under the blankets, hot tea drinking weather. For this native of the North it was refreshing to experience real mid-September cool mornings and evenings and warm-ish days. 

I am thinking...in pictures this morning. My head is full of falling leaves, sun dappled woods, and paths strewn with oak leaves and acorns. Yesterday's hikes took us into just such a picture.  There was a gentle breeze blowing which filled the day with the scents of oaks, evergreens, and the stream that flowed along the path.  The plop and plunk of falling acorns punctuated each step and gave the day its own unique song.

I am thankful...for a man who loves the mountains, forests, and adventure as much as I do. Yesterday we wandered our way along winding roads into the DuPont Forest in North Carolina.  One sign boasted that we were in the land of waterfalls and that didn't disappoint. The music of the water falling over rocks and making its way down cliffs and gorges sang its way deep into my heart and rests there now.

From the kitchen...I will be inaugurating the cooler weather with London broil, mashed potatoes, steamed zucchini, and perhaps something sweet for dessert. My husband is back at work and will no doubt welcome a hearty meal to finish up his day with.

I am reading...the Outlander series again for probably the third or fourth time.  I have been watching the TV series on Starz and I have to say they do a good job but it can never come close to the book.

I am hearing...the morning songs of the birds.  In the past half hour traffic has picked up on the highway as people head out to work and two planes have taken off from the airport.  Soon the bus will come through the neighborhood and the kids will be off to school.  All of these sounds that play in the background of life around here remind me of the sounds that I am missing.  Ian chopped corn this weekend and filled the bag for winter feed. I missed the excitement, smells, and sounds of heavy machinery running on the farm.  I missed the wonder and joy on Layn's face as he took it all in.  I missed the pride and excitement that Ian shows at this very visible evidence of his ownership and hard work.  It is the work that he loves and I revel in his satisfaction.

 A few plans for the rest of the week...work, order and routine that is what I have planned. Now that I have had such a glorious vacation it is time to get back to the daily tasks that mark my vocation and responsibility.

One of my favorite things...silent reminders of past joys.

Here is a picture thought that I am sharing with you...


The smiles on their faces says it all for me.  My kids are truly happy to be in each other's company.


No comments: