thanks for the memories

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Coming at creativity from the back door

The girls group at our church has decided to make a quilt to raffle off, the money to be given to a worthy charity.  When I heard about their intent I spoke with the moderators of the group and offered my services.  I don't claim to be an expert and with my own creative abilities at an ebb right now it would seem like a no-win situation for them to have me onboard but hey, beggers can't be choosers and all that.
Actually even though I find myself incapable of creating I am still able to teach. 

So last Sunday my husband and son gracioiusly hauled my sewing supplies to the church hall and MK and I set out to assist whoever showed up.

There were lessons in color matching and pattern choices.  Once everyone had decided what they wanted to make the lessons in measuring and cutting began.  The students all did exceptionally well with their cutting.  The teacher managed to cut every one of her pieces wrong!

Then the machines were threaded and the sewing commenced.  One of the girls needed a lesson in how to run a sewing machine but that was ok. Once she had that under control Matthew was there to coach her when she had any additional questions.

Jacinata pieced this pillow top all by herself and next week she will be putting it together and completing her project.

Two of the moderators made two very lovely blocks which will contribute to a bright and vibrant quilt when we get this project done.

No comments: