thanks for the memories

Saturday, June 2, 2012

The 'Ahem!' amusing side of life.

Have I mentioned that I am married to the most wonderful man in the world? No, than I should do that right now.  I am married to the most wonderful man in the world.  He is beyond patient!!!! Actually I think the word forbearance is much more descriptive when it comes to the way that he puts up with his wife's vagaries. 


Take today for instance, really anyone who wants today can have it, the whole kit and kaboodle!  It is Saturday which means that it is a working day for me.  Working means that my sewing machine and I are very intimately attached for the greater part of the day.  Recently Matthew bought me a new computer (another of the wonderful men in my life but that is a whole 'nuther blog post) which I need to earn megabucks to pay back.  I also got a new camera which has to be paid for and my wonderful sister-in-law sent me a sewing machine to replace the one that broke.  All of this means that I have mongoproduction weighing on my shoulders in order to pay some serious bills. 

The obligation bothers me because I don't like to owe, money that is.  But the looming task of having to produce enough to earn the money doesn't bother me at all.  I'm up for it, I'm awsome enough! Just ask my kids.  That was until I hit a major snag today.  Was anyone else out there, beside myself, under the impression, under the illusion that when something is AUTOMATIC it means it does it by itself?  Silly me!!! I found out today that it is just not true.  I was working on this lovely little outfit and came to the part where I had to make the buttonholes. 
My whole family knows that I have one machine that is dedicated to embroidery and buttonholes only.  How extravagant you exclaim!! A sewing machine only for embroidery and buttonholes, the woman must be rich or something.  Not rich, just a failure at buttonholes and absolutely unable to set a zipper in to anything.  Several years ago this machine was on sale at WalMart for a song. So I sang and brought it home and there you have it. 

Back to today.  I set it up, slipped the dress under the foot and pushed the little button and walked away.  When I came back there was supposed to be a buttonhole neat as you please where there was none before.  Not so my blogging friends, not so.  When I came back there was a snarl of thread and some bad words in my brain.  Whatever happened to the AUTOMATIC part of the automatic buttonholer?  It had always worked perfectly in the past. 

After much hemming and hawing and ripping and tearing, I went for a walk, came back and discovered what went wrong.  I went wrong!!!!  Can you believe it?  No, neither can I.  I had forgotten to pull down the lever that tells the machine to make AUTOMATIC buttonholes!  Silly me.  It is amazing what a short walk and the smell of cow manure can do for your outlook on life.  I sat down made the buttonholes without a hitch and finished the darn set without an other problem.

The moral of this story?  Always pull down the lever!

Edit:  I forgot my thread. You know the point I was trying to make. See, it is these flights of fancy that show why my husband has so much to put up with.  I am forever having "here-after" moments. You know, when you walk into a room and you wonder what you are here after. 

Anyhow, while I was having angst over the fact that my machine failed me (remember I hadn't yet discovered that it was my fault) my wonderful husband actually offered to help by ripping out that errant buttonhole.  How wonderful is that?  I wouldn't ask my worst enemy (if I had one that is) to do that job!  I certainly wouldn't be having the man that I love do it either.  'Nuff said on that topic.  The job is done, the outfit is for sale and I cannot wait until it is gone!

1 comment:

Veronica said...

But I thought you were perfect.