thanks for the memories

Monday, September 17, 2012

Another pot of yumminess!

Today I put our supper together in three crockpots and got them going around 9 this morning.  Here it is 3:40 and supper is smelling yummy and it is nearly ready.

A few weeks ago I saw something on pinterest and thought I would give it a try. It has since become a big hit in this house; crockpot baked potatoes.  Today, since there are no potatoes dug I tried this with some sweet potatoes that Melissa had gotten on sale at the grocery last week.

I scrubbed the potatoes good so that all the dirt was gone off the skins.  Don't dry them since you want some moisture in the pot to help them cook.  Then I placed the potatoes in my largest crock. I think there are 10 or 11 of them in there.  Fit the lid on tightly and DON'T LIFT THE LID! Turn the pot on high and leave them for 6-8 hours.

They are cooked to a turn and very tasty done this way. You can even eat the skins if you want to.

The pork roast that is currently cooking to a turn has been in another pot cooking all day with apple cider, salt and pepper along with the meat.  When it is time to serve I will just take the roast out and slice it. Those who want can spoon the cider over their potatoes.

Finally I have a zucchini casserole in another pot.  In that one I cut three med. size zucchini up into 1" chunks and placed them in the pot.  Then I added salt, garlic powder, pepper, and some dried basil.  On top of that I poured a quart jar of tomatoes that I canned.  I topped the whole thing with some homemade bread crumbs, dotted it with butter and sprinkled shredded colby-jack cheese on top.  That pot has been on low all day.  The zucchini is tender and all the flavors have melded together.

I love it when I get my act together like this.  I am already thinking about what I can throw into the pots for tomorrow.

1 comment:

Peggy Wolf said...

You may be 870 miles away, but that doesn't keep me from smelling the yumminess.