thanks for the memories

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Contentment

My mother used to have a cross stitch hanging in her kitchen that my sister worked for her.  On it was the verse: Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want but the realization of what you already have.
When I was a stupid kid I truly did not understand what that phrase meant.  I have since begun to grow up and am learning the lesson in that everyday of my life.
Contentment can be found in the smallest and most unexpected places.  This morning I find it in the sound of my grandson's voice speaking in full sentences (maybe not grammatical ones but sentences nonetheless).
Several months ago there was a question about his language abilities.  He was behind and really wasn't talking as a two-year-old should.  With a little work and persistence this summer and he is repeating what is said in his world and stringing words together to make meaning for all of us.

Contentment is watching him play with his current favorite toy.  He calls it a "dig-dump" and he is happiest when he is driving that little toy tractor all over the house.  This morning he pointed at it and told me, "Papa, drive dig-dump."  Of course he is right and he got a big hug for that.  Papa does indeed drive a backhoe.

Contentment is found in the simplicity of little children.  Grown-ups shower them with toys as if the child desired them or needed them.  The truth is that this little tractor, which was once owned by his Uncle Matt, is all the little guy needs or wants.  Oh, and a lot of hugs from grandma.

No comments: