thanks for the memories

Monday, September 24, 2012

The Simple Womans Daybook 24 September 2012

Outside my window...it's a bit nippy out there!  The temperatures in the morning are decidedly cold.  Yesterday we lit the stove for the first time and boy does it feel good to come downstairs to a warm house.  The bluejay has started to come to the feeder out front regularly which is a sure sign that fall is in the air.  The smell out there is heavenly too.  A heady mixture of maple leaves, harvesting corn, newly turned earth, and wood smoke.
I am thinking...perhaps Archie shouldn't be allowed inside the house any more.  MK just found him up on the dining room table.  
I am thankful for...wood stoves with fires in them, blue jays eating sunflower seeds, and woodpeckers that try to defend their territory against much larger birds.
From the kitchen...how about a nice warm, filling fall meal.  Chicken and gravy over rice with fresh baby carrots from the garden.  I think yes!
I am wearing...blue capris and a pink tee shirt.
I am creating...all the good things I can think of; warmth, comfort, light, and love.
I am going...to town to get some essentials.  We need apples from the orchard and needles from the sewing store.
I am reading...The Heart of Virtue by Donald De Marco
I am hoping...that time slows to a crawl for the next couple of days.  The dude has to leave on Wednesday which is far too soon.
I am hearing...Layn walking all over while he eats his animal crackers, MK talking to herself in the kitchen as she makes her ever-present list, Doug in the kitchen too wiping up the counters from breakfast.
Around the house...MK is back into her organizing mode, Layn is in the playroom listening to his Kid Songs CD, the washer has already begun its service for the day, and lists are already made to keep me busy.
One of my favorite things...the usualness of the atmosphere in this house. 
A few plans for the rest of the week...wring every second of time with Ryan of its memories.  Send letters to Matthew, enjoy those close by, and generally live a life of thankfulness and purpose.
Here is a picture thought that I am sharing with you... (actually two pictures)
Melissa has gone on a trail ride this weekend so Ian is being a single-father.  I love the way that he steps up to the task of fatherhood.  Layn could not be in better hands.

Christy, Brett, and Doug by the fire last night.  A rousing game of non-sequiter and plenty of togetherness and marshmallows make for some good family fun.

No comments: