thanks for the memories

Monday, December 31, 2012

The Simple Woman's Daybook 31 December 2012



Outside my window...there is much snow on the ground.  Mother Nature seems to have made an attempt to catch up with our snow totals for the month of December all in one week.  Our yearly average for December is 32.5 inches of snow and we now have 28.2 inches.  I would say that not only did we have a white Christmas but we will be having a white New Year as well.

I am thinking...about family and togetherness.  This Christmas season has been a learning experience as I observe my grown children be with each other.  The art of give and take and love is being well-learned by all.

i am thankful for...diligent snowplow crews, family members with patience and the ability to drive safely in the weather that we have been having.

From the kitchen...there will be no more cooking going on until all of the leftovers from the past week have been consumed.  We all have eaten well and hearty between Christmas and the wedding.  

I am wearing...longjohns and a sweatshirt.  I suspect that the temps out there are somewhat below freezing.  Along with the wind that is blowing no wonder it is chilly in here.

I am creating...memories to last a lifetime and beyond.  

I am going...to get this place cleaned up this morning and then spend the afternoon working on some paying jobs that I have to finish.  

I am reading...Oscar Wilde's The Canterville Ghost.

I am hoping...that all the travelers who are on the road and in the sky this week make it to their final destinations safely.

I am hearing...Layn on the stairs calling Melissa to come up, the fan on the furnace valiantly trying to fight off the chill in this place, and what I suspect heralds the homecoming of the big guys from the gym.

Around the house...everything is lived in! Which is just the way that I like it.  There is something so satisfying about the sight of large male bodies sprawled all over the place while they joke, talk, and just plain spend time together.  

One of my favorite things...to sit and listen to my grown children playing cards with their friends.  The repartee is hilarious.

A few plans for the rest of the week...wring all the memories that I can from these last few days with the boys, take people to the airport, and then try to get my life back to its normal routine.

Here is a picture thought that I am sharing with you...
This picture sums up what Christmas and family is all about.  Savannah playing with Layn's toys on the day after Christmas.

No comments: