thanks for the memories

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Comfort food from family

I have a cousin who is 90 years old.  Every time that she is invited over she will ask what she can bring.  On occasion I will say that I want her to bring her broccoli salad.  As long as I can remember Kay has been making this salad to bring to family picnics and dinners.  It is my favorite.  A couple of weeks ago we went through the same routine only this time she brought me the recipe.  According to her she is tired of all the chopping that is required so I can make my own broccoli salad from now on.  
I post the recipe here for anyone who is interested in this deliciousness.  I assure you that the chopping is well worth the effort when it comes time to partake.

Kay's Broccoli Salad
4 cups chopped raw broccoli
1 chopped green pepper (sometimes she used red just for some color)
1/2 cup sliced (thin) red onion
1/4 cup golden raisins
1 can sliced water chestnuts--drained
Mix 3/4 cup Hellman's mayo
1/4 cup sugar
2tbsp Red wine vinegar
8 slices crumbled bacon (or bacon bits)
Mix it all together in a serving bowl and chill.  This salad needs no accompaniment.  

No comments: