thanks for the memories

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Going beyond Gluten free


I have difficulty with my weight, always have. In the past ten years I have also had problems with my digestion and an increasing number of food allergies and sensitivities.  I did not jump on the bandwagon of gluten free eating just because it is the fad, believe me this girl misses eating the homemade bread that she bakes every week!  I have researched and chosen to eat mostly gluten free for a couple of years now because I notice a positive change in my digestion and in how uncomfortable I am in the evening.  
Recently I bought and read a book call "Wheat Belly" and have had a dietary epiphany.  After eating totally grain free for over a week now, and going through withdrawl symptoms I can say that I feel incredibly good.  There have been no symptoms of GERD for four days now and I am completely free from cravings.
Tonight I was very tempted to cheat because my family is having Tacos and I really like wraps of any kind, especially spinach!!! So I decided to try this recipe from the "Wheat Belly Cookbook" and it is definitely a keeper!!!

Herbed Focaccia
2 cups almond meal/flour
1 cup garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour
1/2 cup ground golden flaxseeds
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp instant yeast (optional)
4 egg whites

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a round baking stone with olive oil, line it with parchment paper, and then liberally brush the paper with oil.

To Make the Dough:
In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, and salt.  Stir or whisk to combine and break up the flour.
In a small bowl or glass measure, whisk the buttermilk and the yeast until it dissolves.  Set aside. In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and stir until a rough dough ball forms. Gently fold in the egg whites until they're fairly well incorporated. The dough will not become completely smooth, and the whites will still be somewhat frothy.

Spread the dough in the pan with a spatula or spoon. Lightly coat your fingertips with oil and dimple the top of the dough. Pour oil over the top making sure it is entirely covered.  

I sprinkled mine with basil, oregano and garlic powder but you can leave it plain or use a different mix of herbs.

Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden and slightly spongy in the center.
With a pizza cutter or knife, cut into the desired size and number of flatbreads. Serve warm.

No comments: