thanks for the memories

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Neighbors


I have a neighbor, but who doesn't.  This neighbor is unique though.  She is a woman who sees the good in everyone and everything. I have never heard anything but positive and encouraging words out of her.  She gives and gives without any thought about getting in return.
She recently expressed a desire to learn how to make a pie.  To me that was nothing special and so I told her I would be happy to teach her.  Little did I know that while I was supposed to be teaching her how to make a pie I would actually become the student.
While I recited the recipe S. measured and mixed the ingredients.  Then I demonstrated how to roll out the crust.  As I watched how she tentatively performed a task that I had done so many times it suddenly occurred to me that this everyday task wasn't so simple for everyone.
As S. asked her questions trying hard to cement the method in her mind I realized that not only was I helping her to make a pie but also to fulfill a need inside of herself.  Something that I so took for granted was not a nothing to this dear woman. This day at this time it was an everything.

As that pie sat there on the table, ready to be put into the oven, the thrilled look on her face and the wonder in her voice were not something simply to express her accomplishment at what she had done but also at a step toward what she would become.  I too have become more because of this woman.  I have learned the value of what I know and what I can do.  I am learning to slow down and appreciate the accomplishment a pie crust truly is.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

Two visits in one day? What a treat!

I know what you mean on this. God works in mysterious ways, so many blessings in so many ways.

This reminds me of Ann Voskamp's book, 'One Thousand Gifts'. I'm reading it now and watching the poignant dvd too. I bet you too would be touched by it if you haven't read it yet. I feel like I'm on a personal retreat reading the book after getting into it a bit...the dvd is a beautiful perk I treated myself too, the girls and I are soooo enjoying it. Her blog is 'A Holy Experience'.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful day with your beautiful friend. What a treasure.