thanks for the memories

Monday, March 10, 2014

A tribute

My son, Jason, is an over-the-road trucker.  That's his truck pictured above.  When he got the job as a trucker I was of two minds about it.  Jason has always been a natural driver.  Since the first time that he drove a tractor and backed up a tractor, baler and wagon he has had my unfailing admiration for his skill. I have difficulty backing up a car in an empty parking lot without putting everyone within miles in danger.  On the other hand Jason has always been a hothead (a trait that he comes by honestly) and I wondered if he would have difficulty with his temper out on the road.

Its his mother that should be feared for.  Jason comes back with stories of all the idiots that he encounters while he is out driving and all I can do is marvel that he has yet to lash out and kill someone.

Since moving my inclination toward road rage has increased 1000%.  (this is not a rant against southerners) Every time I have to go somewhere I am forced to travel on a major highway.  Back home that was not true.  We lived in a agricultural community and most of my commutes took me on back country roads and if that wasn't necessarily the route I would deliberately take back roads as much as I could so as to avoid other drivers and to be able to enjoy the scenery.  Now, I suppose that option is open to me here as well but since I am a newcomer obviously I do not know the back way to get there.

One of these days I either need to take a leaf from my son's book and learn a little patience for the other drivers on the road or I am going to end up being one of the vehicles in these pictures. 

My hat is off to you, Jason, for your perseverance in the face of those who are not only inconsiderate but also impatient when they are on the road.  (don't get me started about the phone callers, make-up artists, texters, and those who insist on reading their mail while behind the wheel)  Stay safe my son.

No comments: