thanks for the memories

Thursday, August 7, 2014

A change of pace.

I have gotten boring here and inside my head as well.  This morning I came to the conclusion that too much sewing makes Ann not only boring but stupid.  So my way of doing something about that is to spread the food love around.  Food is a drug that I often use incorrectly to soothe myself. (anyone who has seen me in person can tell that!) However used correctly food, or more accurately cooking, can be a means of self-expression.

Because I am here taking care of my mother, which is a full time job some days, and I spend a huge amount of time at my sewing machine, I tend to do a lot of prepping meals ahead and using the small appliances that my wonderful man has provided for me.  Not a week goes by that the slow cooker, rice steamer, griddle, and freezer come into play in my food prep. (yes folks the freezer!)  My husband like meals to be fuss free, filling, and easy for him to choose from and re-heat for himself.

Since I never know when Doug will be here after work, a sit down meal for all of us is out of the question.  Things like egg cups, pizza cups, pancakes, barbecue, quiche, and pasta dishes are options that he enjoys because they can be re-heated quickly whenever he gets home from work.

Hopefully I will try to chronicle some of my recipes for anyone who is in a similar situation.  I am now way an expert at anything, nor am I all that great a cook, but after 31 years of cooking for a farmer and a large family I have a few tricks up my sleeve that others might like to learn.

First and probably one his favorites is my crock pot corned beef.  Once it is ready it is great hot over biscuits or rice and makes some really good cold sandwiches the next day.

In a slow cooker mix together 2 cups katsup, 2 tbl. yellow mustard, 3 tbl. vinegar, and a generous handful of brown sugar.  Put 1/2 a beef brisket in and roll it around in the sauce ending up with it fat side up.  Turn on the cooker to low, cover and let cook for 4-6 hours.  30 minutes before serving drain and add a small can of sour kraut.  To serve take out the meat and shred it up.. Serve over biscuits or hot rice with slices of Swiss cheese.  A nice salad on the side makes for a fast and easy meal.

The next day the cold meat, cheese, and the sauce can be put over rye bread for a very messy and delicious open faced sandwich.

No comments: