thanks for the memories

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Lazy is as lazy does.

I really like to cook. I like to eat and since I don't appear as if I have ever missed a meal I think my affinity toward food shows.  But I enjoy sewing even more and since there aren't a lot of people to cook for in my current situation too much cooking can be a bad thing...so I sew.

That being said my husband and mother still have to eat and my conscience won't let me be too neglectful of that duty so there is a lot of lazy cooking going on around here some days.  One day a week I will plan and prep as much as I can for the week's meals.  A new favorite here is what I call egg cups.

I don't remember where I got this idea or even what the original is supposed to be like because I have made so many modifications.

Ingredients:
1 doz. eggs
milk
ham (this can be leftover from another meal or deli slices) or it can be cooked bacon, pepperoni, or shredded up cooked chicken.
cooked potatoes leftover (again this can be leftover mashed, boiled or baked)
cheese of your choice

Either grease or line with silicone baking cups 2-12 count muffin tins. Preheat the oven to 350. In the bottom of the muffin cups place your meat, followed by the potatoes.  Beat the eggs and milk together until it is all uniform in color.  Pour egg and milk mixture over the meat and potatoes being careful not to over fill the cups.  Top with cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the egg is set and the cheese is melted. These are good both hot and cold.  I find I have a hard time keeping them around even now that my husband is the only one eating them.

This same idea can be done using crescent roll dough, tomato sauce, and cheese.  I line the cups with the dough, put sauce and the topping of choice in on top, and top with grated cheese.  Bake the same as for the egg cups.

Two easy make ahead meals or snacks that take only a few minutes but yield a great reward.

1 comment:

Geri W said...

I've been making BIG salads, three different kinds, then we eat them for three days. If I make a skillet meal, I freeze half for later. Too hot here to cook too often!