thanks for the memories

Monday, August 25, 2014

The Simple Woman's Day Book 25 August 2014


Outside my window...there isn't much sun but oh how glorious the temperatures! It is in the 60's and dryer than it has been for many a morning.  Today looks like a good day to hang my laundry on the line and bring that wonderful outdoor scent inside.

I am thankful for...my children and grandchildren.  Over the weekend I talked to all but one of my children and all of my grand babies!  Technology is the greatest thing next to sliced bread (though I rarely eat bread sliced or otherwise).

I am thinking...about all there is to do in the next two weeks before we fly out to Tacoma.  My granddaughter learned to count to 17 since that was the number of days until she got to be with grandma.  I feel the same anticipation about seeing her, Kaycie, and her parents.

From the kitchen...there will be salmon salad made with the leftovers from Friday on a bed of lettuce with steamed broccoli and tomato slices.  

I am reading...the Master and Commander series.  It is a challenge since I am not at all familiar with nautical language.  But the author writes a good tale and I have to say I am enjoying it far better than the movie...go figure!

I am hearing...insects chirping in the trees, the soft sound of the poplar leaves as they fall to the ground, and the skittering noise of a mockingbird as it runs back and forth in the lawn.

One of my favorite things...learning new things.  Yesterday we took a drive into Oconee County and visited the first presbyterian church built in Pickens Courthouse.  This church has been there since the 1790's and truly was built to stand the test of time.  But the most moving and touching part of the experience was the cemetery that was there. It was full of graves that were relocated when the Keowee dam project was built.  Most of the stones merely had a family name on them. Others simply said "15 graves of the .....family"  I felt compelled to say many prayers for these people who possibly remain unremembered.

A few plans for the rest of the week...complete all my wedding sewing, ship a package to Tacoma so I don't have to pack those items, clean a much neglected house, and get ready for my sister to come visit.

Here is a picture thought that I am sharing with you...
This phone booth was in a museum that we visited on Saturday.  It is so indicative of a lot of memories and history that the younger generation will never experience.

No comments: