thanks for the memories

Monday, September 8, 2014

The Simple Woman's Day Book 8 September 2014

Outside my window...it is dark! It's always dark when you wake up before the sun has had a chance to.  I don't know if it is "kid before Christmas" syndrome or the fact of our trip is finally sinking in but I didn't do a whole lot of sleeping last night. Now I am wired and haven't had any coffee yet. Let's home this energy succeeds in getting me to the end of this day in one piece!

I am thinking...in lists!  Now the secret is out! This is where MK gets that tendency only I have learned how to tone it down over the years. (or I am so experienced that I really don't need that many lists anymore?)

I am thankful...for my family. Thankful that my children still care enough to share their lives and the lives of their offspring with my husband and I.  I am thankful for Face Time and Facebook Chat so that I can be a part of the lives of my grandchildren. I am truly thankful every time that I hear Savannah say, "Hi Grandma!" or see Kaycie smile and blow kisses.  I am thankful that Ian and Melissa share Christopher's first steps and Layn's first day of school.  I am thankful for the ultrasound of my soon to be newest grandchild (what a miracle that is!) and for the smiles and laughter of my soon to be new daughter-in-law.

From the kitchen...we will be scrounging for meals today in an attempt to clean odds and ends out of the refrigerator before we leave in the morning. My dear sister ReNee' is coming to care for mom and she is a full service caregiver! She will grocery shop and cook fun and nutritious meals for the two of them.

I am reading...One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp (again) I find it is a book that reveals more and more to me each time that I dig into it. At this time when family comes together to celebrate I want to be reminded to live fully every moment of our time.  I believe, as the author relates, that the concept of eucharisteo, or thanksgiving, is the key to a fuller, more meaningful, and grace filled life.

I am hearing...the crickets singing outside, the soft whirring of the ceiling fan, and the resting silence of the house before it comes awake.  It has been long in coming but this house is finally beginning to speak to me as I sit here in the early mornings. The house back on the farm was never reluctant to let me know its many moods.  Perhaps it is because this house is so new that it has little to say. The farmhouse had many decades of stories to tell and ghosts to reveal if only one takes the time to listen.



One of my favorite things...this picture of my daughter and her surrogate mother.  I thank God every day that my dear friend Mary and MK are close friends. I am thankful for the mothering that Mary gives to my daughter in my stead and for the love that she gives so freely to all the members of my family.

A few plans for the rest of the week...today will be packed with laundry, cleaning, hopefully a dentist appointment, and packing for our trip. Tomorrow we fly out of here for the west coast to spend a week with family and new friends celebrating Adam and Maryanne's marriage.

Here is a picture thought that I am sharing with you...

Tomorrow afternoon I will get to hug, kiss and generally cuddle these two little girls. What could be better than kisses from a grandchild.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to my side of the country...if only we were close enough and you had enough time to sneak in a cuppa (or whatever) and have a proper visit. Blessings on your travels. ugotafriend