thanks for the memories

Monday, October 20, 2014

From the inside looking out


Outside my window...it is dark with millions of stars winking above and a little crescent moon floating effortlessly above our little corner of the world. It is quite nippy out, about 45 but oh so fresh and clean smelling!

I am thinking...about changes.  Change comes, it is the true definition of life, and no matter how much we might fight it change of some kind is inevitable.  This week I want to think about and concentrate on conscious and deliberate change.

I am thankful...for forests, streams, and the scent of dying leaves in the air.

I am remembering...the sight of this tree in my son's backyard.  We kind of got to know each other when I was visiting last month.  The tree and its setting symbolize for me the rightness and tranquility of Ryan and Kathleen's home.

From the kitchen...there must be some major cooking going on today.  The refrigerator is bare of leftovers so this lazy wife has nothing to fall back on.  I think fettucine with spinach, mushrooms, and feta, a baked chicken, and summer squash will be on tonight's menu.

I am reading...three books at once suddenly. I have managed to fit reading into my life again (for now) and seem to be trying to make up for lost time.  I have a couple chapters left in Mother Theresa's biography, The Dog Listener has been entertaining me all weekend, and St. Therese's biography is filling my heart with renewed hope.




My husband continues to be my rock and my connection with sanity.  The oneness of marriage is a grace and blessing that cannot be overstated nor should it be neglected.  I pray that I am a similar help to him and that he too considers me a partner that he is pleased to walk through this world with.

Surprises and blessings...yesterday we took mom to a nearby mill and historic sight in order to get her out and get some exercise.  She gets plenty of stares as she trundles along the wooded paths with her walker.  By the time that we left for home her cheeks were pink and she was trying hard to tell us something of her feelings about the afternoon.  There is a nature trail at this site that is a mere 3/4 of a mile long. However when you get to the halfway point at this covered bridge you might as well be hundreds of miles away from anything. The silence and peace are so profound.  The only thing to be heard the whole time we were walking was the conversations of the stream as it made its way over the rocks in its bed and the rustle of leaves as the pushed their way through the crowds of hangers on on their way to the ground.


In the creativity department...I made and sold five minion hats this week along with the two that I am sending to Layn and Christopher. My granddaughters, Kaycie and Savannah have outgrown the ponchos that I made them a almost two years ago so it is time to come up with something larger.  Purple and pink are their favorite colors so of course I had to paw through my stash and find just the right combinations to please my little princesses.  This is my first effort.  I hope they like them.

A few plans for the rest of the week...work hard and pray harder.  The weather man is calling for sunny, cool, and crisp fall days with downright chilly nights for the whole of this week.  I plan on being outside as much as I can soaking in the scents and sights of autumn.  Maybe take a drive up to the mountains later in the week.

Here is a picture thought that I am sharing with you...I think I could sit and watch and listen to the mill wheel turning every day.  There is something about the sound of water that sets my thoughts in order and takes the tension out of my body.  The constancy of the turning wheel with the endless fall of the water makes me think of the shower of grace that God pours onto us.  We just need to be the wheel that catches his blessings, makes use of them, and then passes them on to others.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

Good Morning dear Friend, I enjoyed and so related to many of your thoughts here...

The tree...The leaves calling out.

Your husband being such a blessing and lifeline. Oh yes, isn't it the truth Ann? So many days I tell my husband, 'I think I need a million hugs today'

Your mama getting stares, this happens when we visit my dad and go out to eat. He doesn't see well and makes mistakes and such, stumbles around walking etc. Sometimes people don't know he is may dad and I see their rude expressions. I look at them sternly.

I am going to sort some beans now and throw them in the crockpot...But first some coffee. : )

Love, amelia