thanks for the memories

Monday, December 8, 2014

Hints, tidbits, and a little look inside 8 December 2014

Outside my window...the mourning doves are vying with the jays and cardinals for their daily repast while a stiff breeze tries to blow all of them over the ridge onto the neighbor's lawn.  The weathermen are calling for a cool day here and lots of clouds.  I suppose that is appropriate since it is December.  I don't know whether to be confused or amused. Last week we had days in the 70's with so much sunshine  that the only thing summery that was missing were the leaves.  Today is feels and looks more like a late fall day in Upstate New York with the slight bite of approaching winter in the air.

 I had a message from Adam this morning, did I return his copy of "It's A Wonderful Life."  I am sure I did but I searched high and low and couldn't find it anywhere.  That movie is a special one for me.  At the lowest part of my life my husband paraphrased this quote from the movie to me.  He stopped my self-destruction by his love and devotion and hasn't stopped loving me since.  I am not a big "movie impacting life" fan but I am a sucker for a good quote any day.


Of course there are still days when this guy dominates my psyche, but hey we can't be George Bailey all the time. (actually my husband just about is)

I am thinking...about family far and near and how true the phrase "the more things change the more they stay the same" is.  One of my granddaughter's locked her sister in the dog kennel this weekend.  It wasn't malicious by any means. I am certain there isn't a malicious bone in the child's body. But I sure would have liked to have some insight into the imp that put the thought into her head.  Her father and uncles used to engage in the same kind of deviltry when they were young.  Again, no malice was intended.  They were acting on imagination and the capriciousness of childhood.  My hat is off to the girl's mother though. She has a patience and level of love and tolerance that I wish I had had at that stage of the game.

I am thankful...for the love and devotion of all my kids for each other.  The regard that they exhibit for each other is a balm to the heart of this mother.

I am sure that they love each other at least this much!!!! 

I am reading...not a thing currently. I finished up the book about confession and am taking a hiatus from reading so I can meet some deadlines and wrap up my pending work.

Creatively speaking...Santa's workshop is in full swing now that the commission work is wrapping up.  Today I sew buttons, make buttonholes, and do other bothersome finish work and then it is on to the things that this grandma has to complete for her little chicks.

Spiritually speaking...today is the Feast of the Immaculate Conception.  Nine months from now we will commemorate the birth of the Mother of God.  Today she is conceived in her mother's womb without the stain of original sin in order that she may be untainted and without blemish and worthy to house The Word Made Flesh.

From the kitchen...I think a celebratory meal is in order.  For my husband there will be bacon double cheese burgers with all the trimmings.  For myself there will be a high protein shake with raspberries. and my mother will choose not to enjoy here BLT.


On today's schedule....I will be attending noon mass to celebrate the Feast.  This is me whenever I get to go to a weekday mass.  Hello, Blessed Sacrament, here I am!!!!!

A few plans for the rest of the week...finish wrapping and shipping packages, keep trying to conquer Mount Washmore, finish small jobs and sundries so that I can begin to reduce the pile of UFOs in the garage, and maybe get some cleaning done around here.


Here is a picture thought that I am sharing with you...family, and friends are what it is all about.  I am not just referring to Christmas and I'm not talking about when you get to be together.  I mean life and salvation.  Every day, day to day, day in and day out if you don't have selfless love and devotion to family and friends you cannot show the love and selfless devotion that God has for you to any one else.

No comments: