thanks for the memories

Thursday, April 23, 2015

I exceeded my carbs today and I don't care

Since we moved back here I have been following a ketogenic diet with success too I might add.  To date I have dropped 21 of the 45 pounds that I intend to rid myself of.   This plan is teaching me a lot about myself, the way that my body works, and, most of all, the effect that many of the foods that I eat and used to eat have on my health.  More than all of that, though, my attitude about eating and food is changing.


As I daily remind myself about what is truly important in life, the people I love, those that I encounter on a daily basis, and the influences that we have on each other, I am learning the true place that food should have in my life.

Food is a pleasure that I certainly have spent too much time indulging in over the years.  Though I still feel compelled to search out the first asparagus spears of the spring I can honestly say that an anticipation of enjoying a meal of their tender goodness didn't fill my mind so much as the wonder of their sprouting through the icy coldness of a New York Spring.


Being healthy and active to participate in the imaginings of this little boy is far more palatable than any feast than I can imagine.

Yet when the morning light reveals a visit from this son of mine I realize other lessons that I have learned as well.  That I can eat in celebration without over indulgence or false guilt.

After all food is one of the ways that this family comes together and expresses itself and why not? I have learned that just because I am happy that my son is here for a visit is not an excuse to be self-abusive or over indulgent.  Sure I exceeded the number of carbs that I am allowed a day.  But I am pleased to say that my excess was all in allowed foods.  My final lesson is that in the aftermath of this indulgence I realize that I am no failure, the choice to eat was mine to make.  Tomorrow is a new day to continue on with my new way of eating and there is no guilt in what I have done.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Bravo! What an excellent post. Very much what I've been thinking and feeling, too, on this healthful eating journey. You can go to excess in two different directions. Neglecting the proper and prudent use of food -- particularly when it concerns family bonding == in favor of a Nazi strict eating plan. Well, that's just dumb. And just as bad as having no control at all. I have to admit that I had one deviled egg more than I should have at a kids' tea party today... and put a dollop of sugar in my tea. And I've lived to tell about it. ;)