thanks for the memories

Monday, August 29, 2022

This Monday is about over and I am beat


Outside my window the sun is shining brightly through the clouds that scud across the sky. The natives keep assuring me that fall is approaching. I am a bit skeptical since temps keep soaring into the 90s. I guess the weather and our perceptions of it are completely subjective.
I am wearing denim shorts and a blue tee shirt. 
I am sitting here in the cool basement listening to Home Free and the sounds of the little people playing. 
I am reading You Are Enough by Danielle Bean. It is a surprisingly good read. Being one of those people who has always struggled with self worth and self confidence this book has given me a lot to think about.
I am making big plans to do some baking this week. We have been making a concerted effort to fill the freezer and shelves in the pantry in preparation for the projected shortages that are coming. Nothing unusual in a late summer and early fall spent putting away all the food we can for the winter. This habit has been a yearly thing since I was a little kid. I am certain that my siblings and I cut our teeth on canning jar lids. I am sure that my own offspring have their own collection of memories involving bushels of tomatoes, beans, corn and other produce. Did I mention that there is a pig fated for the slaughterhouse and 1/4 of a cow has been ordered. 
I am planning on finishing the cleaning after these little people leave then spending the rest of the week sewing. 
 Some pictures from the past week.
Every morning I get to watch these turkeys wander about the field eating. Every time I send a pic to my son, Jason, he sends back a pic of a turkey all roasted on a platter. 
Last week Uncle had a load going to Upstate New York. He took advantage of the trip to spend some time on the farm visiting the littles and their parents.

My heart swells with love and pride to see my kids enjoying each other's company. 


While the rest of us spend our days working out our salvation this little man's only chore is to grow. 

No comments: