thanks for the memories

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Passing it on.

I am a firm believer in the saying, "Don't put all your eggs in one basket."  But my interpretation of that phrase has always had some really broad implications.  In this instance I am talking about all the toys that my kids had to play with.  I never allowed them all their toys out at once nor were they ever available all at the same time.  I liked to rotate toys and even keep some only for very special occasions so that they always had something that was relatively "new" and unfamiliar to them.  Even now with Layn in the house I like to keep things back for "special" play.  
Today seemed the right day for taking out just such toys.  Grandma woke up with a migraine and needed a two-year-old who was unusually quiet and calm today...enter Uncle Matt's Lincoln Logs from the attic.

These toys did just the trick.  Not only did they keep Layn occupied for a couple of hours but his Auntie was totally enthralled too.  What memories flooded back while watching him fill the corrals that Auntie built with his plastic horses.

I could almost seem my boys sprawled out on the rug making log cabins and playing cowboy and Indian.


Fortunately the time for lunch came before the novelty wore off.  He helped Auntie pick up all the toys without any trouble and the box is stashed away for another day when grandma needs some peace and quiet.  Out will come the Lincoln Logs and more stories of Uncle Matt playing with these very same toys when he was a little boy.

No comments: