thanks for the memories

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Realization

Ever since I was a kid I have had trouble with my weight.  I'd like to blame it on the fact that I live in a family that celebrates life with food and that my mother was a fantastic cook.  But the blame lies solely with the fact that I am all about the food. 

This is me at my smallest (I'm the cute one with all the curls).  


About twelve years-ago I thought I had the whole over-weight thing beat by losing 150lbs.  Wrong!  It's not about dieting and losing weight, its all about eating right and living right.

So here's me after gaining back some of that weight (I'm the fat one in front).


So now my focus is not to lose weight, necessarily, but to learn how to live.  (at 51 it's better late than never).  This is not an easy lesson for someone of my age to learn either. After all I am still all about the food.  Just for an example, my eldest son turns 29 this weekend and I have spent the last couple of days planning his birthday meal and checking the budget to see how all out I can go.  He says he doesn't care but this is my way of saying I love you and so it must be done.  (Not that he won't enjoy the lasagna dinner followed by strawberry rhubarb pie)
So what does all of this mean you may ask.  Why am I bothering to set this all down for posterity to remember?  Because life is all about balance.  I can celebrate with the food and the family dinners but I also have to balance that out with celebrating me and my health by being wise with what and how much I consume and then not sitting on my butt letting it all go to my hips.
Here's to a lasagna dinner to remember and a good run when it is all over.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Strawberry Rhubarb pie? Yum!

Amelia said...

Oh my goodness! I love the b/w photo! What a little doll!

I know how ya feel on things. I was never a thin child. I had the brunette shirley temple figure. And looking back I think it was the better. : )

Still have a little girl Shirley Temple design and I just laugh and like it now. : D

I eat healthy, much because of conviction now and thank the Lord it keeps things at bay.

I say cheers to Lasagna and Rhubarb pie! I bet your pie is heavenly! Some of my fondest memories are my Grandma's Italian dinners at her sweet little house with my Grandpa,uncle and my parents. Simple times are best.

You are lovely.

xxxooo ~amelia