thanks for the memories

Friday, August 11, 2017

Love/Hate

I have heard it said that love and hate are two sides of the same coin and that may be true especially when it comes to machines.  The love flows unconditionally when they work but when there is an issue the well just seems to dry up.

Irons are particularly concerning for me.  I think there is a definite "I kill them" aura that surrounds me and they can sense it when I bring them into the house.  The issue is two fold.  I need copious amounts of steam and it would be nice to have one that is self-cleaning.  I do a lot of fusing of interfacing, adhesives, and fleece which yucks up the sole plate but I also do a lot of heirloom work which requires a pristine sole plate.  Did I mention that I am somewhat lazy to boot? 

With all that being said here is the reason for this post.  My dear, sweet sister-in-law, ReNee' ordered a wedding hanky (read white, delicate, and nerve wracking!)  Piece of cake I thought as I cut the fabric (imported Imperial Batiste), starched it, hooped it and set the machine to do the embroidery.  An hour later when it was all done and trimmed I took it to the board to give it a good press before hemming and adding the lace.  I ONLY TOUCHED THE IRON TO IT!  Didn't even have to move it and there was a big yellow-ish brown mark on the surface of the previously pristine white embroidery.   I had cleaned the iron in my usual way, wadded up waxed paper rubbed over the hot surface usually takes off the leftover glue from interfacing and fleece but this time the build up was too great.

 (This is where irons go to die.)  It no longer makes steam but heats up and all the other things it should do.

So, I did what any sane, rational, and thinking person would do in that situation. I threw the hanky across the room and started work on something else.  This morning I took the offending appliance out, read it the riot act, scrubbed the sole plate with a mixture of baking soda and water and prayed that it would be ready for today's work.  I am pleased to say that it sparkles and shines like it was brand new, we are on speaking terms again, and I am ready to hoop a new piece of fabric and start again.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

How are you Ann?

Your blog made me smile because I so get you on this stuff...I find myself talking *to* myself in a Jimmy Stewart voice many a day also throwing wadders on the floor! : )

Blessings to you, Amelia