thanks for the memories

Friday, October 11, 2019

Warmth

I've heard it said that firewood warms you multiple times, even before you put it in the fire.  I can say with a great deal of experience under my belt that it is in fact a truth.
I doubt, however, that the originator of that saying didn't take into account the warming of the heart cockles.  My husband and I, during out our 30 some years together on the farm, have cut, stacked, and burned a lot of firewood.

In that time not only has all that cellulose warmed our feet but, I for one, have had my heart warmed as well.  Being the viewer and beneficiary of all that hard work and devotion to family on the part of my husband has been a privilege and a blessing.

The greatest blessing has been the time he has spent passing on the skills and love of hard work to our sons.  Many the day has been spent in friendly competition as the boys have gathered in the fuel for the coming year's fires.

Now the next generation, our grandchildren, spend Saturday afternoons with their dad, uncle, and papa talking, laughing, and in friendly competition as wood for the coming winter is cut and stacked.

The old man can still out work all of them but only, I think, because his experience is greater and his devotion to his family honed to a greater degree.

As I sit here and look at these memories of a weekend not long passed I am again warmed by the work and the love that went into every cut.


No comments: