thanks for the memories

Monday, June 6, 2022

Greetings

Outside my window the sun is shining however it is considerably more comfortable out there than last week. Today's high was 81 but with a relative humidity of 44% and a dewpoint of 57 it's not too bad.
 
Our yard and gardens have begun to attract visitors we'd rather not entertain. MK has been trapping rats so they stay out of the bin that holds the trash. Lately, in the evening the big have a heart trap has been set up with enticing face for a couple of cats that have been around. While playing cards one evening we heard Teddy calling out, "I guck! I guck!" Lo and behold the trap did have a visitor but no a cat. Teddy had crawled in and managed to catch himself. Being the good group of adults that we are first we laughed, a lot, then snapped a picture before rescuing Teddy from the trap.

Along with all that grows around here Noah has been getting bigger and more active with each passing day. He can now roll over both ways at will. That sunny smile and the sweet sound of his little boy voice is a heavenly background to our home.

Over the weekend grandma went a little crazy spoiling the kids. What could be better than some squirt guns to keep them cool on a hot summer day. Nate being the genius that he is came up with a gatorade bottle as a back up source of ammunition when he runs out far from the rain barrel.

Both of the girls have joined the soccer team at the YMCA. I went to a game over the weekend but managed not to take any photos. Kim got this one when Kaycie was playing goalie. I think that the coaches may have to restrict me from the games though. I cheered myself hoarse during the game. Then I finished the job when I was watching Nate's baseball game.

Over the weekend Jason finally managed to find some fairly decent hay for the donkey. Southern farmers have different methods for making hay than northern farmers do. 'Nuff said but boy was it hard to find hay that was good enough.

The gardens are thriving. It gives me great joy to spend some time out there everyday. 

St. Francis guards the beans and, I'm sure, will be instrumental in giving us a bounteous harvest.

Tomatoes have taken off as well. Today MK and I erected another trellis to give them more room to grow.

Last week we had to fence in the cucumbers and squash. The rabbis have been trying to make their home in the shade of the pumpkin leaves. Already we have enjoyed two meals of zucchini.
The spinach, lettuce, and swiss chard thrive in the heat of the noonday sun. Those, too, have been providing us with spinach and chard for quiche and lettuce for sandwiches and salads. 

These two sunflowers were planted by the birds in among the basil, garlic, and dill. The little people like to pick and eat the leaves of the lemon balm plants.

The borage has taken over the bed on this side. I think that I will have to find a place to transplant some of it. The leaves taste like melon and have been a nice addition to my morning shakes.

As I sit here looking out the window  I cannot help but utter prayers of thanks that, though the past couple of years have been difficult and sad, my life has been filled with a myriad of blessings. I am also thankful that I am able to see them and appreciate this place where I have landed.

No comments: