thanks for the memories

Monday, June 27, 2022

So much life, so little urge to blog about it.

I know, it has been a couple of weeks. To say that I have been busy would be an exaggeration but this family sure sees to it that I have plenty to do. 

Outside my window it is raining which makes today a good day to do some catch up. The only thing I won't be catching up on is weeding in the gardens. Anyway the house is clean enough, laundry is about done, (yes, I'm one of those dinosaurs who washes, dries, folds and puts away all in the same day) and there are plenty of leftovers in case anyone wants to eat.




Years ago when my youngest died a friend gave this white rose to remember her by. Every June around Rebekah's birthday (June 10) it starts to bloom. Throughout the summer and fall it will have no less than a dozen blooms on it. It has been known to flower into November some years. Each year since we moved away from the farmhouse my daughter-in-law, Melissa, remembers to send me pictures. Dearest Saint Rebekah how I miss you today as much as I did 29 years ago when you left us.




Down here in the often hot and dry south we have been working on getting our rain barrel system set up. Last week we had a torrential downpour which prompted the adjustment of a couple of the barrels. Today the rain has been coming down off and on and I am pleased to say that the barrels seem to be doing their job of collecting the water. Being on the farm spoiled me. Water was readily available and only cost the effort to get it to where it was needed. Necessity being the mother of invention harvesting water for the purpose of growing food has become an ongoing project. It gives me a bit of a chuckle watching the neighbors watching us trying to collect the rain. I think that we have confirmed the overriding belief that Northerners are a bit whacky!

Now that the basement is back together and dry we have been spending many days down here keeping cool while trying to keep the electric bill down. Last week Matthew introduced the kids to MRE's. As we could have predicted Kaycie, who eats everything, loved them while Nate, who has a more discerning sense of taste, wasn't impressed. It was an interesting experience to say the least and made for a good learning experience.

With temperatures in the 90's and high humidity grandma finally broke down and invested in an easy set pool.  I am pleased to say it was well worth the investment. The kids have been enjoying the water while the adults play lifeguard while enjoying quiet games of cards on the back porch. 


Last Sunday Nate was honored at his church for completing kindergarten. He bravely walked up the isle on his own to receive his bible and shake the hand of his pastor. 
I told him I was proud and impressed. His grandma would likely have wet her pants if she had to walk up in front of all those folks. Not only was he brave but he was the handsomest kid in the building.
For a Father's Day gift Kim and the kids cleaned up and organized the garage where Jason keeps his tools. He's been rebuilding a truck which leaves little time for cleaning up after himself. Now Nate can park his jeep in their too. Apparently Diesel thinks some of that empty space was created for his comfort. Poor guy loves the cool cement floor in all this heat.

Nate has been playing on a little league baseball team for the past couple of months. Saturday night his team had the privilege of running out onto the field with the Greeneville Flyboys at the start of one of their games. My heart did a little bit of a bump when he ran out onto the field beside the player he was matched up with. Of course our family cannot be at all dignified for the occasion. It was an exciting night with the Flyboys beating the Elizabethtown River Riders. It was also the first time this grandma has been to a live baseball game. I've seen plenty on TV but never been in person. This could become a habit.
Since I planted my gardens I have been waging war on the wildlife that thinks I am providing an all you can eat buffet for their dining pleasure. Last week MK managed to trap a racoon which Jason graciously relocated to Ryan and Kathleen's property. Yesterday was a red letter day in the war against varmints. Jason managed to shoot a rather large woodchuck (they call them ground hogs here) and then not long after he shot this rabbit after it boldly ran out of one of the raised beds while we were playing cards on the porch. 

The woodchuck went to feed the pigs while the rabbit is now skinned, gutted, and frozen waiting to be made into a nice rabbit stew. 

I went to bed last night wondering what new adventure awaits this family. God is abundantly good to this family and I marvel daily at all of the undeserved blessings that we enjoy. 

 

No comments: