thanks for the memories

Monday, August 8, 2022

Simply living

Outside my window it is hot and muggy! If I didn't know how to spell that phrase before moving to TN I would have soon learned it after. The city is out paving the highway near our house so it will be a stay inside kind of day.

I am wearing my nightgown, still. Today is a slow moving kind of day. The house is clean enough and the laundry is going. There's really no hurry about getting myself dressed for the day.

Yesterday Matthew and Jason prepared a sumptuous repast yesterday and there was a birthday dinner the day before so I am pleased to say that there are enough leftovers for at least today. 

I am thinking that I was born in the wrong time. Last week I drove to Bryson City, NC for a few days away. The pull of a ride on the railroad was more than I could resist, so I didn't. Pulled by a steam engine and punctuated by the frequent sound of the whistle, I rode through the lush forest and by the rushing river. I closed my eyes and imagined a country as yet unsettled. A gentleman on the train entertained the passengers with tales of long dead settlers and the faint cries of the Cherokee as they traveled the trail of tears away from their homeland. Since the builders tried as best they could to follow the river's path when laying the tracks it was easy to look out through the trees and imagine settlers struggling through dense forest and down rushing rivers.
 

Then there are the mountains. They are ever present and worthy of all the adjectives that have been used to describe them. When I stand in the presence of such vastness I wonder about the God who fashioned them. The contrast between the strong peaks and the delicate flowers that grow on their sloped is an assurance that He will not neglect one of His own.


No comments: